I was surprised when I saw this recipe and normally would have disgarded anything from Kris Jenner, not my favorite person for sure, but this recipe is fabulous. Every detail is something I would do. So I decided to pass it on and let you decide is her book worth buying. I mean for $18 not a bad deal. Spend $35 at Amazon and you get shipping for free.
- 1/2 cup blanched silvered almonds
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1½ cups vermicelli, broken into 1½ to 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 3½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated to steaming
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup seedless raisins
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a plate. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the vermicelli and stir constantly until it is lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add the rice and stir constantly until most of the rice turns chalky white, about 1 minute more. Add the chicken broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the saucepan tightly. Simmer until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 18 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat. Add the toasted almonds and raisins (do not stir them in) and cover the saucepan again. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the pilaf with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot.
Note: will not post link to book as it got a negative review, but this recipe is a keeper.