Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- ½ tbsp. vanilla
- Sugar for rolling cookie dough, optional
- Lemon cream frosting (optional, recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix until combined.
5. Add flour mixture and mix slowly until completely combined.
6. Scoop out dough with a 1½ inch scoop and roll dough in sugar to coat.
7. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes and let cool.
8. Optional: Spread a layer of lemon cream frosting on one cookie and sandwich with another. Repeat for as many cookie sandwiches as desired.
Lemon Cream Frosting
½ cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter, then mix in sugar and lemon juice. Add a couple of drops of yellow food coloring if you want to hint to recipients what the flavor is at first sight.