I did not want to turn her down but I was not eating wheat on my diet. So I accepted this wonderful gift and began to look for recipes. She told me to use cumin as it may give you heartburn and lots of onions.
I found several recipes on the net for maftool and each one different as the deal is a little difficult to make if done authentic. I looked for some 5 star recipes that I thought were the best and then I changed the recipe to what I wanted it to be. So below is my adapted recipe that came out so fantastic I could not believe it.
- 500 grams of frozen maftool (or fresh if you are lucky)
- 400 grams of chicken breast
- 400 ml of tomato puree or you can use fresh tomatoes and put in blender
- 400 ml of water
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half and then sliced
- 1 red onion cut in half and then thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil or substitute oil
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas or canned
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, cumin, alspice
- Cook the chickpeas in a slow pot or crockpot the day before. You can also cook these in a pressure cooker. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet add in the oil and heat. Then add in the onions, garlic and chicken breast. Cut the chicken breast in strips as it will cook faster. Saute the onions and brown the chicken on both sides.
- Add in the tomato puree, water and 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Reduce the heat of the stove to medium and cook the chicken mixture until the chicken is done and can be easily shredded.
- In a steamer or regular pot add in the maftool, chickpeas and around 80% of the tomato sauce and onions mixture. Mix well. Now add in 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of all spice, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. I just love this done in a steamer. My Braun steamer as a basket that comes with one of the levels and so this can be done easily. If you have a regular steamer this could not be done correctly and you would need to cook this on the stove.
To serve this meal, put the maftool mixture on the platter and then top with the chicken strips and left over sauce mixture. Sever with a side of yogurt. YOU ARE WELCOME!!!