Dr. Fuhrman is a vegetarian and his recipes are famous worldwide. The original recipe was written by Maria Mitchell and this article is based on my edits and changes to increase both taste and texture. See what you think?
Preparation Time: 30 -45 min.
Red Lentil Chili Soup
* 2 Potatoes, peeled, chopped into lg. pieces
* 1 Onion, peeled, chopped lg. pieces
* 5 Carrots, peeled , chopped into chunks
* 1 red Pepper, med., seeded and chopped
* 1 green Pepper, med. seeded and chopped
* 1 cup Red Lentils, rinsed
* 1 cup Organic Baby Spinach
* 1 green pepper (hot), chopped
* 1 teaspoon of coriander, dry
* 1/2 teaspoon of curry
* Salt and pepper to taste
Cook Lentils in a large sauce pan with 3 cups of water. Stirring occasionally, cook until soft and done. Set aside. (This should be less than 20 min.)
While the lentils are cooking, in a separate large pot, add in the potatoes, onion, hot pepper, carrots and coriander powder. Cover with water and bring to boil. Simmer
until almost tender, approximately 10-15 min.
Add in the red and green peppers and cook an additional
5-8 min. until peppers are soft, and vegetables are cooked. Let cool a
little while. Add spinach and stir.
Add in the lentils and season with salt and pepper and curry seasoning.
Note: The original recipe suggested: Puree all the vegetables(not the lentils) in some of the cooking liquid
in batches in a food processor. Add as much cooking liquid to form a
soup. Add the puree to the Lentils which have been cooked, draining some
of the lentil water if needed. Add chili powder and MatoZest. Stir and