I have to say my biggest failing at the holidays is eggnog. I just love the stuff and I could drink this entire pitcher in one sitting. It is creamy, thick and it is just heaven. While I wish I could tell you it is lo-cal or diet, I sure cannot. So when you are making up this delicious eggnog, make sure you know what you are drinking.
Eggs each have 75 calories in them, 1 cup of milk has 167 calories, so 4 cups has 668 calories, whipping cream has 821 calories per cup of liquid and sugar has 387 calories for 1/2 cup.
According to Fatsecret.com, 1 small 8 ounce cup of eggnog contains 343 calories and so when you are making up this wonderfully delicious eggnog, remember that one pitcher of eggnog has more calories than you your consume in the entire day. Also eggnog has 19 grams of fat.
- 6 eggs (separated)
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 cup milk
- ¼ t. salt
- 2 cup whipping cream
- 2 t. vanilla, nutmeg
- Take your separated eggs and beat egg yolks until light. Add in half of the sugar and then beat thoroughly.
- You will need to scald the milk and stir slowly into the egg yolks. Cook this mixture slowly over low heat until mixture coats metal spoon, stirring constantly.
- Chill several hours before serving . Add the salt to egg whites and beat until stiff, gradually adding in the remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg custard mixture. Whip the cream and fold into the egg custard mixture also.
- Now add in the vanilla and chill for several hours. To serve this wonderful eggnog, ladle into punch cups and sprinkle with nutmeg lightly.