Whether it is the holidays or simply a get-to-gether, pie is always wonderful. Marie Callender's Restaurant is very famous in Los Angeles, California where I lived prior to coming to the Middle East. I have so many fond memories of sitting down for a potato soup with onions and cheese and then topping it off with a generous slice of lemon cream cheese pie. This was my ultimate favorite and I so hope it will be yours too.
Ingredients for the Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cups Graham crackers, ground fine
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Take a 9 inch pie pan and spray with some non-stick spray. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Then press inside the pie pan. Press down hard and shape against the walls. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees and then bake the pie crust for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Layer
- 12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a medium side pan add in the cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and salt and cook on a very low heat stirring constantly until mixture starts to boil lightly.
- Now mix the gelatin with water and dissolve. When the gelatin is dissolved add it to the mixture along with the vanilla and stir well.
- Cook until the mixture reaches a light boil and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- When the mixture is lukewarm, pour the cream cheese mixture on the crust and refrigerate until cooled.
Ingredients for Lemon topping
- 1/5 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, place the water, sugar, and lemon juice, cornstarch, slat and lemon peel and using a whisk mix until mixture comes to a boil at medium heat. Cook the lemon mixture for 2 minutes until it becomes thick.
- Pour ½ of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs slowly and stir constantly. When the mixture is completely blended pour the egg mixture into the hot pudding mixture, stirring and cooking until the pudding reaches boiling stage.
- Stir and let boil slowly for about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and add in the butter and vanilla and stir and set aside until cooled.
- When the lemon mixture reaches room temperature, gently smooth over the cream cheese mixture and chill for several hours before serving. Garnish this wonderful pie with whipped cream.