One of my all-time favorite pies is strawberry pie. It is very simple to make if you are lucky enough to get ripe and plump strawberries. Thanks to modern supermarkets, strawberries can be obtained most of the year.
- Flaky pie crust (recipe below)
- 1 cup white sugar,
- 3 tablespoons corn starch,
- 1 pint strawberries,
- 1 12oz can of 7-up
- Whipped cream
- In a heavy bottom saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, 7-up until creamy. Cook the 7-up mixture over a medium to a medium high heat until the mixture becomes thick.
- When the 7-up mixture becomes thick, cool to room temperature and add a couple drops of good quality red food coloring.
- Wash and cut the fresh strawberries into quarters or smaller depending on how large they are. Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of sugar on the freshly cut strawberries and place them into the shell.
- Pour the cooled 7-up mixture over the strawberries. Allow the pie to set for a few minutes. Serve with plenty of whipped cream around the edges.
Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter slices
- 1/4 cup of ice cold water
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor place the flour and the butter and pulse until the two are combined well. Slowly add in the water and the salt.
- Pulse again. Remove the ball from the processor and place in a plastic bag. Store in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow to set for 15 minutes before rolling out. Put some flour on a flat surface and roll out in a circle and place in the pie plate.
- Bake the pie crust in a hot preheated oven of 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes until nice and toasty brown. Remove from the oven to cool before adding the strawberries.