Some people will use a 9 inch pie plate or even a square baking dish and make one whole pie, but my favorite way to make them is just like you will find in the grocery store in mini-pie pans. I use my non-stick mini-pie pans over and over again. You can make mini fruit pies and freeze them and I just love to make mini-pumpkin pies too. So before you can start, you must make the dough recipe to cover the pies with. You can use Phyllo dough from the freezer section if you prefer, but nothing spells homemade better than fresh homemade pie crust.
Homemade Flaky Pie Crust
Ingredients - Make 6 Mini Pies or 2 9 inch pie crusts
- 2 cups flour (I use whole wheat for mine, but you can use any flour you prefer)
- 3/4 stick of butter - cold slices
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of ice cold water
- Place the flour, shortening and butter in a food processor and pulse slowly until combined. Add in the salt and slowly pour the water in while the processor is mixing on medium.
- When a ball forms, remove from the processor and place in a plastic bag. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit on your counter for 15 minutes before rolling out.
Note: If you do not have a food processor, you can cream the flour and butter and shortening by hand or with a fork.
Chicken Pot Pies
- Pie crust dough (recipe above)
- 3 chicken breasts
- Few sprigs of sage or thyme (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 2 stalks of celery or I use red peppers
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium size onions (green onions may be substituted)
- 1 small 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the chicken breast in a medium size saucepan to cook, along with the sage or thyme sprigs. When the chicken is done, place in a food processor and pulse lightly until you have shredded chicken. Remove the chicken from the food processor and set aside.
In the same processor, add in the potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and/or red peppers. Pulse the vegetables lightly to get a rough chop.
Add the oil to a large skillet and heat. Add in the chopped veggies and saute' lightly. Add in the peas and chicken broth. Cook for 10 minutes and then add in the shredded chicken, salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes.
Now add in the evaporated milk and reduce the eat to medium and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the stove to cool. The pie mixture must be cool before topping with the pie crust or the crust will melt.
Spray each mini pay with non-stick spray or grease them liberally with butter. Divide the chicken pie mixture into each pan (6 servings), making sure not to add too much liquid. Take the dough and divide into six pieces and roll out each into a circle and lay the circle on top of the pie pan and seal the edges with a fork or your thumb, pressing down hard against the rim. With a knife, cut off the excess dough.
Place the pot pies in plastic bags and freeze individually until needed or bake now. If you want to bake them now, bake in a preheated hot 400 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the crust is browned. Make sure to place a few slits in top of each pie to allow the steam to escape.
After the pies are done, allow them to sit for at least 5 to 8 minutes before trying to eat them. Once you have one, you will want one again and again and again.
Read: Turkey Pot Pie with Cheesy Flaky Crust