You can use a 9 inch pie plate or even a square baking dish and make one whole pie if you prefer.
Homemade Flaky Pie Crust
Ingredients - Make 4 Mini Pies or 1 9 inch pie crusts
- 2 1/2 cups flour (I use whole wheat for mine, but you can use any flour you prefer)
- 1 stick of butter - cold slices
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup of ice cold water
- Place the flour and butter in a food processor and pulse slowly until combined. Add in the salt and cheese and slowly pour the water in while the processor is mixing on medium.
- When a ball forms, remove from the processor and place in a plastic bag. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit on your counter for 15 minutes before rolling out.
Turkey Pot Pies
- Pie crust dough (recipe above)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded turkey
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1 red pepper
- 2 carrots
- 4 green onions
- 1 small 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the turkey meat in a medium size saucepan to cook. When the turkey is done, place in a food processor and pulse lightly until you have shredded turkey. Remove the turkey from the food processor and set aside.
In the same processor, add in the potatoes, onions, carrots, red peppers. Pulse the vegetables lightly to get a rough chop.
Add the oil to a large skillet and heat. Add in the chopped veggies and saute' lightly. Add in the peas and chicken broth. Cook for 10 minutes and then add in the shredded turkey, salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes.
Now add in the evaporated milk and reduce the eat to medium and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the stove to cool. The pie mixture must be cool before topping with the pie crust or the crust will melt.
Spray each mini pay with non-stick spray or grease them liberally with butter. Divide the turkey pie mixture into each pan (6 servings), making sure not to add too much liquid. Take the dough and divide into six pieces and roll out each into a circle and lay the circle on top of the pie pan and seal the edges with a fork or your thumb, pressing down hard against the rim. With a knife, cut off the excess dough.
Place the pot pies in plastic bags and freeze individually until needed or bake now. If you want to bake them now, bake in a preheated hot 400 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the crust is browned. Make sure to place a few slits in top of each pie to allow the steam to escape.
After the pies are done, allow them to sit for at least 5 to 8 minutes before trying to eat them. Once you have one, you will want one again and again and again.
Read: Easy Peezy Chicken Pot Pie