How to Make Pumpkin Marmalade (healthy version included)
Ingredients for Pumpkin Marmalade
- 4 pounds of pumpkin
- 5 cups of water
- 3 medium size oranges sliced into paper thin slices
- 3 lemons sliced into paper thin slices
- 4 inch piece of ginger minced
- 4.5 cups of sugar (1 cup of honey substitute for healthy version)
How to Prepare the Pumpkin Marmalade
- Peel the pumpkin and remove all the seeds and inside fibers.
- Shred the pumpkin or cut into very fine pieces.
- Place in a large sauce pan. Add the water, lemon and orange slices and the ginger. Bring to boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes and then add in the sugar. Bring the marmalade back to a boil and cook on medium heat until the marmalade is very thick and will allow a wooden spoon to stand up in the pan alone.
- Marmalade should be very thick, but it will not be like jam. Jam has a setting point and will gel. Marmalade is more of a fruit filling. It can be used to fill a tart with, but suggest removing the orange and lemon rinds first.
- Pumpkin is especially good for heath reasons and it makes a marvelous jam and marmalade. This recipe is very easy to make, but takes time shredding the pumpkins. Place this marmalade in Ziploc bags and freeze in the freezer for the entire winter also.