Full of Goodness and Nutrition Including Broccoli, Oregano & Yogurt
There is nothing better than the smell of homemade whole wheat bread baking in the oven. It fills the home with happy thoughts and anxious children.
This recipe takes many steps to do, but once it is perfected it will go very quickly. It is so delicious that it will be bread made weekly and the old trip to the grocery store for Wonder Bread will be a thing of the past. This recipe is made to make the body feel healthy all over and is made with things that are both nutritional and extremely delicious.
How to Make Healthy and Delicious Whole Wheat Bread
The first part that must be done is the oregano mix. This can be made in advance and stored in the cabinet for up to one year. This mixture will make enough for several recipes of bread.
Buy the Oregano Mix Already Made
Ingredients for the Oregano Mix
- 1/2 kilo of whole wheat grains
- 2 cups of dried oregano
- 1/2 cup of black cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup of sesame seeds (toasted)
Directions for Making the Oregano Mix
- In a skillet place the whole wheat and lightly toast the seeds, stirring constantly. Make sure the fire is on very low heat.
- When they are lightly toasted, remove them from the fire and grind them in a coffee grinder or blender. Do the same process with the black cumin seeds. Keep tasting the black cumin seeds until there is no bitter taste in them. Grind them in a coffee grinder also.
- Place the oregano in the coffee grinder also and grind as with the black cumin (Nigella sativa) and whole wheat grains. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add the sesame seeds to the mixture and store in an airtight glass container.
Broccoli Mixture for the BreadIn a food processor put one small head of broccoli (approximately 2 cups), 3 green onions and 1 ounce of goat cheese. Pulse slightly until all the ingredients are mixed together well.
Ingredients for the Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 kilo of brown flour
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 1/2 cups of yogurt
- 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup of the oregano mix
- Broccoli mix from above
- 6 teaspoons of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Warm water to mix with
Directions to Make the Whole Wheat Bread With Broccoli
- Put the flour and oats on the table and mix together. Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture and add in all the other ingredients, except the water. With a small fork start mixing the ingredients together slowly. After all the flour and wet ingredients are mixed together, manually start mixing and pressing the dough together.
- Add enough water to make the bread into a soft pliable ball. Begin kneading the bread for at least 5-7 minutes.
- Rub some olive oil over the top of the bread and cover with a bowl on the table. Let the bread rise for at least one hour.
- After the bread has risen for one hour, cut the bread into 24 individual pieces and flatten the bread slightly and freeze the bread in individual packages.
- When it is time to bake the bread, remove one or more packages from the freezer and roll the bread into flat pita style bread. It may be necessary to add more flour to make it the right consistency.
- Preheat a very hot oven to 450 degrees and place the pita right on the hot shelf of the oven and bake. A baking pan may be used if necessary. Watch the bread as it will bake quickly. Turn the bread once in the oven.
Note: The items in this recipe may be interchanged or omitted as necessary.
Photo courtesy of Photobucket/mytmouse247, tanyalrsn