|Courtesy of Crafty_Lady_13|
There is nothing more delicious than to have a spinach and mushroom omelet for breakfast or even lunch. Especially when you add in the cheese and tomatoes for that extra tasty flavor. The best time to eat spinach is in the summer time, picked straight from the garden. It makes you think of Jaime Oliver and his cooking show. Enjoy this omelet and make two as you will definitely want more.
Note: If you are heart conscious, you can reduce the butter and oil and use a non-stick spray in the skillet. You can use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites instead of the 4 whole eggs.
Spinach and Mushroom Omelet Ingredients:
- 4 organic free range eggs
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup of chopped baby tomatoes
- 2 green onions chopped finely
- 1/2 cup of cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, or ricotta)
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter or 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil
Method of Preparation:
Preheat a oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop all the veggies and set them aside.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil.
- When the fats have melted, add the mushrooms and onions and saute until the mushrooms are lightly brown and soft.
- Remove the mushrooms and the onions. In the same saucepan place the spinach and wilt the spinach and when almost done add the tomatoes. Cook a few minutes more. Remove from the pan.
- In a separate bowl, place the eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Beat the eggs with a wish until light and fluffy.
- Check the skillet to see if it has enough oil to keep the eggs from sticking. If it does not have enough, add enough oil and brush over the skillet. Add in the egg mixture and tilt the skillet to evenly spread the mixture over the entire pan.
- Drop the mushrooms and onions sparingly around the pan. Now add in the spinach and tomato mixture around the mushrooms.
- Cook the omelet over low to medium heat and with a spatula keep checking the underneath of the omelet. When it is set and slightly brown, sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place the whole skillet under the broiler for around 5 minutes, until the eggs are cooked on top and the cheese is bubbly.
Remove from the oven and slide onto a plate and serve with some arugula leaves and a few slices of melon. If you like you can add some extra seasoning on top also.
For an extra bit of wonderfulness, have a salad of watercress and pomegranate seeds on the side or a nice pomegranate juice cocktail. Adding a spinach and mushroom omelet, not only makes you healthy, but extremely happy.
Nordic Ware Italian Frittata and Omelette Pan