Jamie Olivers Pizza dough. Don't you just love this man? But mine is more on the healthy side. My recipe takes a bit more time, but the health benefits for those who want to live healthy are certainly worth the trouble.
Healthy Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1/2 kilo whole wheat brown flour ( 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups of yogurt (I used goat)
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- Seasonings - optional (oregano, nigella satvia (black seeds), sesame seeds, ground whole wheat)
- Add half the flour, yogurt, oil, salt, yeast and oatmeal to a food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you can do this with your hands in a large bowl or right on the counter, like Jamie does.
- Pulse your ingredients until mixed. Add in the seasonings and another cup of flour. If needed add in some lukewarm water to help with the mixing.
- Remove the batter from the food processor and place in a large bowl and with your hands mix in the rest of the flour.
- Using dough hooks on your mixer or by hand beat the dough until it is pliable. Spritz some more olive oil on the dough and cover until doubled.
- 2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree, cooked (canned can be used also)
- 1 cup of spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoons of dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet put the pumpkin puree in to heat. Add a bit a water, if the puree is very thick. Add in the spinach and basil and cook.
- Add in the cinnamon and salt and pepper. Continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the veggies are wilted. I prefer my veggies to have some texture.
- Remove from the heat to cool.
Making the Pizza
- Take a large pizza pan and spray with some non-stick spray. Take enough dough and roll out the dough on a floured board Lay in the pizza pan and with a fork make some indentions in the dough.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees and bake the dough in the oven until one side is lightly brown. Flip the pizza bread over.
- Add the pumpkin puree to the lightly browned side and cover lightly with some parmesan cheese and then either some goat cheese, Mozzarella or cheese of your choice. Fontina cheese or herbed goulda cheese would be nice also.
- You may like to put some basil on top of the cheese for extra flavor. Bake in a very hot 450 degree oven until the cheese melts and browns on top.